Tuesday, February 16, 2010

I Bake.....





I bake a lot of bread in the winter time. I used to stick to plain ole bread but in recent years I've branched out. I attempted the traditional sourdough bread years ago and through several attempts, I finally got the hang of it. My current sourdough starter is almost six years old, this holds a record for my being able to keep a starter alive long term. I want to build a brick wood fired stove in our back yard someday. When I do, I'll be able to bake bread all year long, since I refrain from excessive baking in the summer time because how much it heats up the house.

Lately, I've been experimenting with artisan breads of all types. I really do enjoy a bread that uses an Italian "biga starter", which I've perfected by combining the "biga starter" and my own sourdough starter. I've experimented with a variety of types of bread shapes. One of our favorites is the "classic bagguette", which has a crispy crust and is chewy in the middle. Yummy !!!!

No comments: