Tuesday, October 14, 2008

To Drive Or Not To Drive




To Drive or not to drive....that is the question. Lately, I've answered that question by NOT DRIVING. Since My Honey drives out of state to work every week, he drives enough for the both of us. Round trip to work and back is over 600 miles per week. Since I don't "have to" drive, I've chosen not to drive. This explains why I haven't posted many blogs lately. I only allow myself to use the library's computer when and only when I "have to" drive into town for other reasons. I combine errands into one trip. Today my reason for driving is to go to the bank, grocery store, feed store and laundrymat. So here I am at the library. I wanted to post a blog about the "Chicken Tractor" that I've recently built. I was determined to build it with only the items that we already had at our place. This project has a two fold purpose. The idea of a "chicken tractor" is to allow the chickens to do the work of eating the grass in our unused garden beds instead of using a gas powered machine to clear back the unwanted overgrowth of grass and weeds. The second purpose is to give the older hens a new job since their egg-laying career is soon coming to an end. I took an old wood crate pallet and covered it with some chicken wire that was in the barn. I found a few srap pieces of wood and an old cabinet door with hinges to complete the top. It took a few nails and some staples that we already had on hand. The chicken tractor is portable. It can be easily moved with a two-wheel dolly which only requires a minimum amount of energy and absolutely no petroluem products. The chickens are happy to be able to feast on the green grass, scratch the ground for bugs and such and the wood cabinet door makes for a place for them to rest in the shade. That makes for a win-win situation for us all.

No comments: