Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I Can Can


I can "can". Canning is part of my history. Growing up in the country, I helped my grandmother and my mom with many of their "country chores". Canning fruits and vegetables was a routine summer activity.

This week we've been busy canning the plentiful bounty from our garden. For the past few days we've been canning salsa. Since we have so many tomatoes and chile peppers, we decided to start with canning salsa first. So far we've canned over 4 gallons of hot sauce (one pint at a time). As I learned from a elderly "senora" in Mexico, to make "real" salsa, you have to roast the tomatoes and chiles on the "comal" (griddle) first.

This afternoon will be dedicated to "putting up" peaches from our first peach harvest. We ordered the fruit trees from a catalog about three years ago. When they arrived in the mail they were about 12 inches tall. Taking care of those little trees for the past several years is finally paying off. We have lots of sweet juicy "organic" peaches. Yesterday we had biscuits and homemade peach jam. Ahhh, just another day in paradise !!!!

No comments: