Friday, April 25, 2008

"Experimental Cooking"


I look at cooking as being an experiment. No matter how hard I try, I rarely can make it through a recipe without changing something, adding something, substituting something or leaving out ingredients that don't appeal to me. I consider LIFE to be just one big experiment, so I often "make it up" as I go along.

The following is one of my experimental recipes that I "made up" to add the healthful benefits of soy and flax to our lives. Give it a try !

BLUEBERRY FLAX SOY BRAN MUFFINS

1 cup organic oat bran
1/2 cup organic soy flour
1/2 cup organic ground flax seeds
1 egg
1 cup soy milk (vanilla flavored preferred)
1/4 cup raw honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum free)
1/2 teaspoon course ground sea salt
1 Tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil
1 cup frozen blueberries

Mix together dry ingredients first. Then the remaining ingredients, add frozen blueberries last.
Stir only until combined ( over stirring will cause tough muffins). Makes 1 dozen.
Bake in oven, preheated to 425 for 15-17 minutes

*If you prefer substitute another fruit such as raisins, dates, or whatever you like
*I use paper liners in a muffin pan for easy removal & clean up
*Flax seeds tend to cause baked goods to brown more quickly and cooking times vary.

No comments: