Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Better Late Than Never....


It may be tad bit late to write about Mother's Day but better late than never. First of all, let me say that I hope that this past Sunday was a wonderful day for everyone. I am so glad that it is over. I'm sure that there are many others that feel the same way that I do. This was the second year that I didn't have to buy a Mother's Day card. I didn't have to make a trip to visit. I didn't have to pick up the telephone to call. For those of us whose mom's are no longer living, Mother's Day is a bittersweet experience. I know that I am not alone in this. There are probably millions of us that cringe upon hearing the word Mother's Day. In my family alone, we have had a loss of several mothers in the past few years. I was one of the lucky ones. I had my mom for 46 years. My husband has his mom for 52 years. My cousin lost her mom at age 42. Other's were less fortunate. My thirty year old step daughter lost her mom when she was 28 years old and one of my nieces had just barely turned 20 years old when her mother passed away. None of us were prepared for such a tragedy. It is something that you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. There is no cure for this ailment. It is something that we have to learn to live with. For the entire month of May, I dreaded Mother's Day. But now it is over and I'll have the entire year to get ready for next May.

This year was an improvement over last year which was the first Mother's Day without my mom. This year my cousins and I celebrated Mother's Day together, which was a first for us. We had my mom's chicken & dumplings and my grandmother's lemon cake. My mom's only niece and I are cultivating a cousinly relationship as well as our newly found friendship. We haven't spent time together since we were small children I'm getting to know my mom's great nieces who are teenagers now and are delightful young ladies. I know that my mom is very pleased that we are becoming friends now. It is a shame that only the tragedy of my mom's unexpected death was able to bring us cousins together. But as she would say BETTER LATE THAN NEVER. This rose is for you Maw !!! I chose the most unique rose in our rose garden to dedicate to you since you were always unique and beautiful. You live on in the hearts of all of us who are left behind. We will make you proud.....


For those whose mothers are still among the living, enjoy the time you have together. No one has a guarantee for another tomorrow.

No comments: