Tuesday, May 27, 2008

He's A Working Man


My Honey, he's a working man. He's a Fire Fighter in the big city. He drives 300 miles to work each week. That is three hundred miles one way. He works a 40 hour week. Sometimes he works an overtime shift. He is always in a big hurry to get back home. There is no place that he'd rather be than back at the ranch....working. He was born and raised as a City Boy and a Flatlander, although he was a Country Boy and a Mountain Man at heart. Even though he lived in a major metro area, he was a member of the rodeo club in high school. He was a bulldogger and a team roper. When he was a little boy, he went fishing with his grandfather. He always loved nature and being in the country.


Back in 1999, when we began our relationship, he made a trip with me to my Dad's farm. I grew up in the country and had been doing "country chores" since I was a kid. I was mowing the pasture with the tractor and bush-hog, when he suggested that he wanted to start doing his share of the chores. I remember my Dad giving him a lesson on what to do and how to do it. When Dad was finished and sent My Honey on his way to start bush-hogging, we were watching from the back deck. The conversation went something like this: Dad said "Well, do you think that he can do it?" I said "Geeeez, Dad, I certainly hope so, because if he can't learn to bush-hog the pasture then I can't keep him". That was followed by much laughter by both of us.

1 comment:

Avitty said...

He sounds really impressive. Reading your blog actually makes me a little jealous. ^_^;;