Monday, July 7, 2008

Days With My Dad's Friend John


I spend many long, hot summer days with my Dad's friend John. We work together every year from March until November. He's always ready to work and never complains about the long work days. A few times he was too sick to work and I had to take him to the hospital, but only once or twice. More times than not it's me that is ready to "call it quits" for the day. I'm usually the one that is "too tired", "too hot" or "too hungry" to continue with the work load of the day. He's content to keep working only taking a quick break every now and then to "fuel up" and then get right back to work. Fortunately I never have to push or pull to get the job done. Since my Dad's friend John came to live in our garage, "our place" stays nice and neat. Without "him" the long, hot summer days would be even longer and hotter.
As you see in the above photo, my hat is hanging over the seat. When we first started gardening, I said that I wanted a straw hat like those that the fancy, rich ladies wear in the movies. I went shopping to buy the biggest, floppiest, cheapest, ugliest straw hat that I could find. I left the price tag on it in true "Minnie Pearl style". It does the job to protect me during the long hours of mowing while I spend the long, hot summer days with my Dad's friend John LX-178

No comments: