Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Leap Of Faith

One has to have a certain amount of faith to be a gardener. I'm not referring to the job title of gardener, I mean to grow your own food. You must believe that the moon will rise and that the sun will set again like it has in the past. You must at least have faith that the "World As We Know It" will continue to turn. Weather plays a bit part in the whole gardening experience. A late snowfall or a early frost can squish your plans like the very bugs that torment the plants that you work so hard to grow. Anyone that has grown their own food before knows that too much rain, at the wrong time, or not enough rain, at the right time, will directly impact the end result of your gardening plans. But when you get down to the last step, that leaves you with another test of faith. Now that the tomatoes are planted, watered, weeded, tended to in a number of ways, vined ripened and picked then comes the next step. Now they must be preserved for yet another day in the future. Like I said, you must have a certain amount of faith to be a gardener because, providing you are still around on that future date, on the cold, wet, winter day when those tomatoes become a bone-warming bowl of comfort food, then and only then will you know that the soup or stew they provided was worth every spoonful.

1 comment:

It's me said...

Great post! I just did my first canning last night and while it was scary, what a sense of accomplishment. I can't wait 'til the day when I can head down to the basement and see all my handiwork. :)