Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Happy Birthday To My Gramma


"My Gramma" is the youngest child in this family photo






Today, July 15th is My Gramma's birthday. Her name is Annie. She was born in 1912 and this would have been her 96th birthday. Although she died in 1981, she lives on through members of my family which keep her memory alive. My Gramma was a tall, strong and proud woman. She loved to sing and dance. In my memory, I can still hear her singing at church the song that my little sister and I called "Bringing in the Sheets". In her last years she traveled around to different places to "Square Dance". She was an awesome cook. To this day, whenever people mention her name they brag on her homemade "fried pies" and other delectable dishes that she made for so many years. I like to think that I inherited her cooking skills. I still use many of her recipes to recreate the dishes that we all still long for. However, my recreation of her fresh from the garden, cream corn still doesn't quite measure up to hers. She rode horses and went fishing. I wish I'd had the foresight to ask to keep her old "Side Saddle". She made beautiful quilts. She made homemade butter and canned every vegetable and fruit imaginable. She kept a scrapbook of memorabilia and wrote down everything. I like to think that I inherited that trait from her as well. She lives on through other family members also though memories and stories as well as their skills or talents. Gramma's great-grand daughter, Molly, inherited Gramma's build. Like Gramma, she is strong. Now at age 16, Molly uses the inherited talent to compete in arm wrestling tournaments, in which she does quite well. She's going to National Finals next month. I'm sure that pleases Gramma immensely.
Happy Birthday Gramma.....we miss you still !

No comments: